I loved and I loved and I lost you
And it hurts like hell
Yeah it hurts like hell

And it hurts like hell

HEY MY NAME'S Kelly AND I'M 22. THIS IS Laila Mary Bellamy. SHE'S A Pauper. YOU CAN CONTACT ME THROUGH Skype , AIM or PM OR WHATEVER. MY OTHER CHARACTERS ARE Snow White, Queen Rose Charming, Rowan "Red" Dufour, Queen Guinevere Pendragon, Lady Rhosyn Hatton, and Faery Princess Coira. OH, AND I LIVE IN THE Eastern Time Zone. OTHER THAN THAT, I love you guys!. SEE YA!

A baby is born mid-winter. When the snow melts and she is still alive her parents consider her a miracle. A tiny miracle they had kept close to them when the icy wind seeped through the walls of their little house at night and loved, but tried not to love too much in case she was lost. They didn't name her until the first day of spring. They named her Laila after a long dead grandmother, her second name Mary like her mother.

Laila is five years old when she first hears the word 'poor.' She quickly figures out that this word is exactly what her family is. What every other family she knows is. She has a younger brother and her mother is heavily pregnant. She wonders why she has to have another sibling if her belly is already empty, if she knows that sometimes her father skips dinner so that her and her brother can feel full. It's not that she doesn't love her brother or think that she won't love a new sibling. But she looks around at the other families, and thinks about how many of her playmates have disappeared even though their parents still live here and gets scared that she will disappear one day too. She asks her father and he tells her that he won't ever let anything hurt her and that she never has to go anywhere, but even at such a young age she can see the fear in his eyes.

Laila is twelve when she learns what it's like to lose someone you love. The oldest of six siblings, she sees her parents work harder than anyone she knows and still struggle to feed her and her siblings. She works where she can, but there is not much work to be found. Not for a young girl who only wants to see her younger siblings, the youngest of them only three, live through the harsh winter. They hunt where they can but the land cannot support all that try to live off it it. She sees the children of their neighbors drop like flies when it gets cold. She is scared for her family.

Her twelfth year sees the roughest winter she can remember. Her little sister catches a cough one day and although her parents tell her to go to sleep Laila stays awake, listening. She can hear the weak coughs coming from her sister, the sobs her mother tries to keep quiet , the whispered comforts from her father that do no good because there is no denying the truth. Not all of their children would live. That was a fact of life here. Children died all the time, and Laila knew now that she was older that her childhood playmates had not 'disappeared' but instead had gotten sick one day and were dead the next and it wasn't a thing that children were supposed to know. Her sister coughs for hours. She eventually drifts off to sleep in spite of herself and when she wakes in the morning the house is silent.

Laila is fourteen when she runs away. She had long ago started following in her parent's footsteps and giving her dinners to her younger siblings. There are only five of them now. Her mother begs her to eat when she can, because as much as she might like to think she is grown she is not. Laila does not listen. Her youngest brother is six now. Winter will be coming soon. He seems too fragile. Laila is afraid that he won't make it to next spring. She doesn't want to see what that will do to her mother, who despite everything in her life cares so much and always ends up hurt. Her parents shouldn't have to worry about feeding her too. So in the middle of a cool fall night, Laila quietly grabs the few things she can call her own (a small doll made of a corn husk, two plain dresses, one ratty pair of shoes), and slips away. Laila knows how to read and write the basics, but her father and mother do not and so she leaves no note. She leaves a message with her youngest brother after he wakes when she kisses his forehead. Maybe he will remember in the morning, maybe he won't. She hopes they won't worry too much. She'll come back when she has money to give them. She'll come back when she can help.

Laila is fifteen when she meets him. She had been living on the streets for months. There were others like her, who had left the warmth and shelter of their homes to give their younger siblings a better chance. There were others on the streets that were there because they had no family left. Finding warm places to sleep, finding food, and staying safe were all harder than she had anticipated. It makes her tougher. She'd seen her parents. She goes back on the coldest nights. They beg her to come home. She insists that she's okay. Her brother still looks fragile but the cold hasn't gotten him yet. She tells them not to worry. She does odd jobs, brings what little she makes back home. She mostly sticks with the other street kids, there is safety in numbers. One night she finds herself cornered by two of the older boys. She tells them she doesn't have any money. It's not a lie. They don't care. They are looking for someone to take their anger out on. They are angry at life for being so cruel to them and so they are cruel to others. She fights back the best she can but they are bigger than her. They get a few light hits in before a boy her age comes to her rescue. He is skinny with messy hair and bright green eyes. He helps her up off the ground and introduces himself as Samuel. She gets butterflies in her stomach when their hands touch.

Laila is sixteen when she gets married. The two of them were inseparable. They very quickly fall in love. It gets warmer and they fall asleep under the stars. He doesn't have a family, she introduces him to hers. Her father likes him. Her mother likes that he keeps her safe. They share what little they have.They look out for each other. Getting married young is what you do when tomorrow is not guaranteed. They loved each other, so they went out into a field and gathered up wildflowers. They stuck them in Laila's hair, in the button hole of Sam's shirt, they fashioned her a bouquet. They got married. She was happier than she could ever remember being. He was everything. Her heart was so full all the time and it never stopped being that way. He was selfless and kind and always held her hand. She loved him more than she ever thought possible.

The town healer is an old lady who lets them sleep by the fire in her house in exchange for their help. She doesn't have children of her own, and her hands get too stiff to work in the cold. Laila learns from her. Takes care of her. She finds she's good with the sick and the wounded. She thinks she might like to be a healer herself one day. It is the first time in her life she thinks that she might be something some day. For the first time in her life she is thinking about a future instead of about surviving until tomorrow. When the healer dies Sam and Laila stay in her home. They bury her out back, mark her grave with a cross. They leave wildflowers. Slowly, her home becomes their home. Laila's wedding bouquet hangs over the door. Laila continues the old lady's work. She gets good at it. They are making a little money for the first time in their lives. The people here don't have much, so they don't charge much, but what little they earn they share with Laila's family. Her brothers and sister look stronger. She is happy. They talk of children some day.

Laila is eighteen when he dies. It is winter and he has a fever. She tries to get him to eat but nothing stays down. Not even water. She panics. She remembers her sister, who got sick one day and was gone the next. They were grown now, but even adults died in the winters here. Anyone could get sick and be gone. Samuel is delirious, he cries in the night. He hurts. She sits at his side, desperately dabbing his forehead with a wet cloth. She tries everything the old woman had taught her. Nothing works. The sickness takes him in three days. She says her goodbyes but he is not conscious to hear them. With her father's help she buries him in the back yard. She marks his grave. She leaves wildflowers. She is lost.

PMEmail
^
J.M. Barrie
 Posted: May 30 2017, 04:44 PM
  • Admin (26)
  • Site Admin
  • Faldor
  • “Howling ghosts – they reappear In mountains that are stacked with fear But you're a king and I'm a lionheart”
Barrie

ACCEPTED
WELCOME TO FIND THE RABBIT HOLE
Her history is so sad but she is such a great character! I can't wait to put her and Mikul together. Here's something he doesn't see coming haha.
PMEmail
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

SKIN MADE BY NIC EXCLUSIVELY FOR FIND THE RABBIT HOLE.