Add Reply
New Poll

Nothing Like You, Mirella :: Kenna
Einarr the Bandersnatch
 Posted: Apr 16 2017, 06:39 PM
  • Wonderlander (123)
  • Alice In Wonderland
  • Wonderland
  • “You can join us if you think you're wild. You can hate us all you want but it don't mean nothing at all.”
Skylark

Can you see the blood on my sleeve?
The reaction to the Bandersnatch’s approach was a world away from what had greeted him last time. Wounded, bleeding, weak, vulnerable. A monster of the Red Army’s making, they had rightly raised their defence, threatened to attack. And they had, sadly, underestimating just the damage he could do to them, even injured.

{You’ve spent so much of your life battered and beaten and still forced out to do a job. To intimidate and torment, even with the black bruises hidden by your fur. The deep red cuts along the flesh of your back that your shirt hid from view. Your victims never saw, they never knew.

You’ve lived with pain so long, it is nothing to you anymore. A fact of life, Bandersnatch.}

This time, there was no attack. No guards rushing to surround him. They knew him, of course, recognised him from his visit not so long ago now. Now rather than terror, or burning hatred, there was a shock in their eyes. One which gave way to suspicion. Of course, that guardedness never left their eyes as they looked upon the creature making his way slowly through camp, a large wooden crate carried under one arm. Confident in his step, knowing now that known of them would raise a finger against him, not unless they wished to face the consequence doled out by their precious White Queen.

Or if anyone them did dare, he could easily kill them now. No longer was he a wounded beast, an injured stray taken in through the kindness of their leader’s heart. He was the Bandersnatch again. And there was a menace twinkling in his eye to see them all pander to him too. They did not trust him, and Einarr could not blame them, but they tolerated his presence. Blamed him for exploiting their Queen’s kindness. Too wary to try anything in case they unleashed the creature of legend they all knew him to be.

The camp had moved since his first visit, but it had been all too easy for someone of the Bandersnatch’s tracking talents to find it again. To follow the trail of scents they all left behind them as they migrated through the woods. No doubt after moving they all thought, prayed that they’d seen the back of him. No such luck, he was afraid, he was back. In one piece and fighting fit again.

{Why are you here, Bandersnatch?} Some voice hisses in the back of his mind. A voice he ignores. {She offered you an open invitation to return. One you neither accepted nor rejected. Not stooping low enough to accept her offer, yet still leaving it open for you to change your mind one day and stroll back in like you are now.

You put everyone at risk doing this. Her. You. She is the White Queen and you a creature painted in red. If your masters knew where you were, Bandersnatch, if only they knew...you’d not see freedom again.

Why do this? Why risk so much? For some fantasy that she could understand you? Accept you? For the idea of some bond you had formed the last time you had met?}

No. NO. He had something to show her. That was it, that was why he was here. Only that. Only that.

With that reassurance, the Bandersnatch quietens the voices in his head and halts his step. Now roughly in the centre of the camp, from what he could tell anyway, Einarr looked around for a moment in silence. A crowd had gathered about him, a safe distance from this unwanted visitor, but the Bandersnatch paid them no heed. He shifted the crate he held from one arm to the other before barking his command.

“Where’s your Queen?” He turned slowly in a circle, making sure the malice glinting in his eyes met with every single one of their gazes. “Where the fuck is she?!”

+Tag: @Kenna
+Notes: Welp, he knows how to make an entrance.

PM
^
White Queen Mirella
 Posted: Aug 29 2017, 12:42 PM
  • Wonderlander (351)
  • Alice in Wonderland
  • Wonderland
  • “You have no control: who lives, who dies, who tells your story”
Kenna

"Let me tell you what I wish I'd known when I was young and dreamed of glory..."
And the ship is back @Skylark
Maps.

So many maps.

Mirella’s eyes scanned the table top, covered in pieces of parchment, each with its own drawing of Wonderland on it.

”There has been no progression.” She states, three of her most trusted guards standing across the table form her.

”No, your majesty, there has not been any progress from the Red Queen.”

Mirella’s eyes flicker from the maps, up to her guards, and back to the maps again. There was more they wanted to say, but they kept their tongues still. But Mirella could feel it. The tension in the air. The stagnant suspense that hung around them as they waited, day by day, for the next attack.

And Mirella grew tired. She grew tired of the wait, of the war, of the hate and tension that now buzzed around the winds of Wonderland. Her Wonderland.

But it wasn’t her Wonderland anymore, was it? No, her entire kingdom had been changed, including the White Queen herself. She knew her people were worth this fight, but each day she felt herself slip away more and more. As the light began to die down in Wonderland, so did its White Queen.

She held herself in the same composed manner she always did, but her eyes looked tired, her men could see it. She opened her mouth to speak again but was interrupted before she could even begin by yells out in the center of her camp. She knew the voice as soon as it reached her and her men.

"Gentlemen, I believe we have a visitor." She said with a small smile, one of her men, the youngest of the group, looking alarmed, while the other two rolled their eyes, knowing exactly who was here.

Mirella exited the tent, her men close behind, and made her way to the center of camp. As she walked through her people parted the way for her, making a path to the man who was glancing around the camp. She tried and failed to keep a small smile off of her face when she first saw the man, but was able to bring herself back to the regal queen she was.

”Bandersnatch.” Her voice rings out in a regal tone, looking at the back on the man standing in the center of her camp. She consciously did not call him Einarr in front of her camp. Her eyes went to the box under his arm. ”What do you bring into my camp?”

'Other than your warm personality.'

The joke she made inside her head planted a small smirk on her face.

©

PM
^
Einarr the Bandersnatch
 Posted: Sep 1 2017, 07:10 PM
  • Wonderlander (123)
  • Alice In Wonderland
  • Wonderland
  • “You can join us if you think you're wild. You can hate us all you want but it don't mean nothing at all.”
Skylark

The Bandersnatch’s eyes track around the group which had encircled him.

{This isn’t like the last time. You are a wounded beast no more and they know it. That suspicion is burning in their eyes...but still they keep their distance. Despite appearing to be made docile enough by their Queen, they still cannot trust your temperament. Who ever could predict your steps, your moods? They remain on their guard and, Bandersnatch, you remain on yours.}

“Where is she?!”

“Calm down! Look, just put the box down!” [/b]The shout of command brings his head to turn, malicious stare falling on the one guard who’d had the courage to speak up. There was a softness about his face. No weapons drawn, his empty hands reached out instead. Like he was trying to diffuse a potential threat rather than prepare for a certain one. [i]{For some reason it sends a prickle of irritation through you.}

“Bring her out!”

“Put it down.”

The two sets of eyes are locked on each other now. Staring off in silence. His voice was lower now, coaxing rather than commanding. Trying to get through to one of Wonderland’s famed monsters through simple tone of voice.

“Let me repeat this for those of you here who are finding it difficult to understand...Where. Is. She?” His glower grew more intense, furious at this idiot’s attempt at peacemaking. There was an immediate commotion building amongst the crowd, a mixture of voices contemplating conceding to the demand and others vehemently dissenting. “I won’t fucking ask again!” {You needn’t have to. You knew her scent already, even amongst this crowd of humans, it wouldn’t be too difficult a task to locate her...then why don't you? What is this your attempt at courtesy, Bandersnatch?}

Oh, hold on. He needn’t have to.

There was a shift in the crowd, the voices quietened as its members began to move themselves. Making way for a new and altogether more important face to the monster before them. {The rest of this sea of people were just that. You remembered each one you’d seen before but spared no thought or feeling for any of them...it was only hers you cared to see.} Mirella. The White Queen. The Bandersnatch’s number one target.

Einarr’s eyes narrow at the smile he sees hovering on her lips for a moment. Was she mocking him? But then its gone, and the regal figure of the White Bitch was stood before him once more.

“Bandersnatch.” He straightens at his army-given title, turning an unwavering glare towards her. Had she forgotten his name already?

{Why are you here, Bandersnatch? Why did you come again? Why are these people not corpses yet? Why is there still breath in her body? Why trust her? Why, of all people, did you choose her to trust?}

His gaze falls down to the box under his arm at her mention of it. “Not here.” He says, his voice so calm compared to moments earlier. That harsh edge still lingered in it, that threat which never left him. “I won’t show it here.” {You’d never live it down...You’ll never live any of this down.} Looking back now to the Queen before him, he makes yet another request. His tone raising once more. Louder, harsher still. “I want to speak with you alone.”

The words bring a commotion back to the crowd previously silenced, but Einarr didn’t care for them anymore. His eyes don’t leave her.

+Notes: sooo not living this down <3
PM
^
White Queen Mirella
 Posted: Sep 23 2017, 02:37 AM
  • Wonderlander (351)
  • Alice in Wonderland
  • Wonderland
Kenna

"Let me tell you what I wish I'd known when I was young and dreamed of glory..."
The glare set on his face was far from unsettling for the White Queen. Her people around her may have squirmed at it, but not Mirella. Not when she had gotten a look at the man underneath during their last encounter.

She kept her composure and stance as a queen as she stood before him, her people shifting around her slightly and her guards sitting on edge waiting for her command.

A command she would not give, not against the man before her.

As she mentions the box she watches as his gaze goes from her to it. The calm voice that followed the action allowed another soft smile to settle on her face. There he is. She thought. Of course, there was still a sharpness, but it didn’t cut like it usually did.

His gaze finds hers again and she tries to appear friendly while still holding her regality. A line she danced along and tried hard not to cross. Not in front of her people. Not now. Not at a time like this.

At his request her guards shifted instantly, flanking to her sides, settling just before her, creating a sort of barrier between them. But her hands quickly went to their shoulders, pulling them back softly. She glanced around at the commotion that the crowd now buzzed with.

”Silence.” Though it is a command it floats lightly around the crowd, settling them almost instantly. Many did not understand how the Queen held such a gift of soft yet commanding speech. Even Mirella herself could not explain it.

The White Queen looked back at the Bandersnatch. ”Please, follow me.” She says as she turns and begins walking towards a tent towards the outer part of her camp. She held her hand up as her guards began to follow, telling them to hold back and keep a distance. They looked at each other worried, and then back at their queen. She simply gave them a nod and they spaced themselves back.

Mirella continued to lead Einarr, but soon felt him come up closer to her side.

”Its good to see you again, Einarr.” She said quietly, not looking at the man beside her. Mirella kept her gaze ahead of her until they arrived at the tent. She moved the opening off to the side, finally turning to him. ”Just in here.”

©

PM
^
Einarr the Bandersnatch
 Posted: Oct 9 2017, 08:54 PM
  • Wonderlander (123)
  • Alice In Wonderland
  • Wonderland
Skylark

Noise swelled around them; frantic whispers rippling from mouth to mouth throughout the crowd, hurried commands barked in the ears of guards as they all stood ready. For whatever it was this beast was planning to cause today. Every eye caught on either their Queen or the Bandersnatch who stood opposing her.

But Einarr didn’t hear them, couldn’t see them, for he cared so little about any of them. Their threat too insignificant for a creature like he that he could afford to just ignore them. For now. His eyes only for their Queen, that woman in white. The only soul in this whole place he was remotely bothered by.

The rest may well not even be there. Even the guard with their hands grasping hilts and eyes filled with the burning spark of battle. He could take them out before any really even had the chance to draw a weapon. {This was not like the last time, they’d be wise to remember that, Bandersnatch. You stand alone and uninjured this time. At full strength and full power. You leave corpses where they stand in seconds.}

His eyes, his mind, are too focused on watching her. Waiting for the Queen’s response. Wondering whether she’d be stupid enough to invite him back in, a move just as idiotic as last time. Not only had she not let him die, she’d returned one of Wonderland’s true terrors to its full and formidable strength, she’d also shown the Bandersnatch her location, one he could ever so easily track. An action which in turn had put her entire camp at risk if this unpredictable creature before her ever decided to release the monster they all thought him.

Silence.

Einarr does not allow himself to show the pleasant surprise that briefly flashes through his thoughts. His scowl still bores into her, his gaze fixed and unwavering. {You trust her. But perhaps what was even more miraculous, Bandersnatch, for whatever inexplicable reason, the White Bitch trusted you too. If you were smart, you’d use this. You’d kill her when you were alone and bring her body back as a prize...} Silence. And the crowd immediately obeys.

They are left there in the silence, as the regal exterior of this Queen, one Einarr had been one of precious few to truly see behind, invited him to follow her. To give him the private audience he had so aggressively requested. No, demanded. A hand held up to prevent the guards even from following after them.

{This level of trust. This level of idiocy? Or something far greater?}

Einarr straightened, shifting the box under his arm, careful not to tilt it too much. Without another word, he followed. {You obey her commands now too, Bandersnatch?} That malice in his eyes not fading as he left, taking extra care to meet the eye of as many of the crowd as dared meet the Bandersnatch’s gaze. His mouth pulled into a grimace, a low and threatening growl spilling from his throat as he passed the mass of guards who still stood ready to act.

It wasn’t difficult to keep up with the woman, his walking pace easily surpassed hers and very soon Einarr was travelling alongside her rather than in her shadow. Still wary to keep a certain distance between them. “It’s good to see you again, Einarr.” The Bandersnatch grunted vaguely in response.

{Einarr. She called you by your true name...so she did remember? So she did care enough to, just like you had taken hers and let that name into your thoughts-

Careful now, Einarr, watch your step.}

They stopped before a tent, the Queen moving to hold the entrance to the side to allow him entry. Einarr’s gaze flicked quickly to her then back to the tent. Staring at the two for a moment, as if trying to calculate risk in his mind. {Wasn’t this what you came for, Einarr?} Without even acknowledging her, Einarr takes the steps into the tent, ducking under the fabric of the entrance and standing tall once upon once inside.

It was a spacious place, larger than most of the tents Einarr had been in before. Certainly bigger than the healer’s tent where he’d first entrusted the White Queen with his name. That was about as much as he could be bothered to really deduce about the place, besides the fact that the entrance he’d just come through was the only one. Well, aside from just tearing through the flimsy fabric walls of the place. That was easily another option.

Einarr took a few more paces in, finding a suitably large enough table to finally lay down the box which he had so carefully handled the entire way here. Even then, when it was safely placed on the tabletop, he wouldn’t let go of it. His arms still wrapped around its sides, one face still hugged against his chest. As if he still needed to protect its contents, {as if you were debating still whether to open it at all, Bandersnatch. What’s wrong, isn’t this why you took such a risk in tracking her down?}

He doesn’t look at her, his head falling forwards instead as he stared down at the wood of that box. A thumb scratching at the grain. His hair falling down too to hide his face as he finally spoke up again. For the first time since they’d been left alone together.

“For a bit there, I thought you wouldn’t want to speak with me.”

{A ridiculous notion. A ridiculously candid thought. Take it back, take it back. But it was out. Why so honest now, Bandersnatch? Do you honestly believe you could ever be safe?}

His gaze lifted up then, eyes finding hers. That malice gone, replaced by his own sort of desperate seeking.

+Notes: that gd box <3
PM
^
White Queen Mirella
 Posted: Oct 26 2017, 02:20 PM
  • Wonderlander (351)
  • Alice in Wonderland
  • Wonderland
Kenna

It was quick, but Mirella had caught the way his gaze flickered to her as she held the tent door open for him. ”Don’t worry. I won’t hurt you.” The words echo in her head, but she was smart enough to not say them out loud. He would simply scoff at her, or throw some of his cruel words at her.

Not that either would be effective. The Queen was not afraid of this man, though she would never say that outside of her own mind. No, the Bandersnatch no longer frightened her in the way he may have before.

Einarr finally stepped inside of the tent, and Mirella moved to follow, but before she let the fabric fall, she caught the sight of two guards coming to stand watch outside of the tent. With a simple sigh she let the fabric slip from her fingers, and she was once again shut in with the Bandersnatch.

She knew why they worried. She knew why they had their guard up around her all the time. To them, she was priceless. How foolish.

Lately these thoughts crept into her head more and more. As the war raged on, either silently or in full blast, she wondered why they stayed. What was the point. They still hid. Their army could not defeat that of her sisters.

Her sister, thought extremely cruel and seemingly heartless, had been a better ruler in a sense. She got the kingdom, and she has kept the kingdom. Is this how it should have been from the start?

Mirella had been a kind queen. She had been gentle, yet just. She had been strong and she had been loved. But she had her father to help her before. And after him, her loving, devoted husband. After she lost all of that, that is when she lost the kingdom also.

So, was she truly meant to be a queen? Or would it be better for her people is she gave up? But she knew, if she were to hand herself over to the enemy, her people would surely die. Wonderland would shift and become a realm of blood and despair, more than it already had been.

But, if she wasn’t going to give herself up to the enemy, then what was she doing here? Now? Isolated in a tent with such a fearful beast as the Bandersnatch.

Mirella finally turned form the doorway and looked to find him again. He had made his way to a table and set his box down, though he had not relinquished hold of it yet.

Then he spoke.

And she knew, right then in that moment, exactly why she would so quickly and easily be alone with him. For before her was not the Bandersnatch. But it was Einarr.

As his eyes reached to look at hers a gentle smile sat on her face. Mirella moved to a seat at one of the few chairs placed sporadically around the tent. Why was she always so tired lately? The excitement alone from this morning had left her feeling a slight exhaustion.

”I’m sorry if I had kept you waiting for long.” She said, spreading the skirt of her gown around her legs and feet as she situated herself in the chair. ”I’ve been a little preoccupied lately.” A tint of joking and laughter in her words. They had all been preoccupied lately. There was a war going on.

Then Mirella’s eyes went back to his face. ”I’m sorry if I made you doubt our parting words from your last time in my camp.”

©

PM
^
Einarr the Bandersnatch
 Posted: Nov 8 2017, 08:16 PM
  • Wonderlander (123)
  • Alice In Wonderland
  • Wonderland
Skylark

He doesn’t relinquish his hold of this precious cargo of his, even as he turned his gaze back on her, his arms remained against the wood. Holding down the lid. {Almost as if you are ashamed of what’s inside, Bandersnatch. Is that true? Are you ashamed? You should be.}

“Don’t worry, your people were very accommodating in your absence.” He says gruffly, not ever fully able to leave that grit, that brutality, which underpinned his whole character. On a good day, that could be construed as his attempt at humour. On a bad day, it was a threat, a warning for something far more vicious to come.

His eyes follow the White Queen as she takes a seat alone, not offering him one. Fiddling with her skirts as Einarr’s mind raced. {Regretting this already, Bandersnatch? You should be ashamed for even having come.} He wished she would just ask him, he wished she wasn’t like every single human, programmed to faff about with small talk and not get down to the true purpose of the conversation unless it was truly urgent. It was a waste of time. {And with every second, you’re deciding against this, aren’t you? What now? Run.}

“Mhmm.” The Bandersnatch mumbled in vague agreement to her statement that she’d been preoccupied lately. {Was that humour in her tone? Is the White Bitch laughing at you?}

They’d both been preoccupied lately. Einarr had remembered her invitation to return, whenever he wished, to take advantage of her foolish display of kindness whenever he wished...but it had been a while since he’d disappeared off into the woods. Long enough that they’d moved the camp, but not covered their tracks well enough to fool an expert tracker like the Bandersnatch could boast to be. They’d been so easy to find in the end. {It was a wonder the Red Army weren’t here yet. It was a wonder they weren’t all laying slaughtered.}

She’d been busy being Queen, he was sure. With her maps and battle strategies, healing the pathetic wounded that her bleeding heart couldn’t help but take in and add to her camp’s already swollen numbers. Busy leading the way for the ‘good’ and the ‘pure’ of Wonderland, leading them all into certain slaughter.

He’d been busy himself meanwhile. First in avoiding the Army until his limp was no longer so obvious, only then did he show back up for work. He’d been busy then, carrying out the duties they’d always asked of him. Terrorising, interrogating, and murdering all those pathetic Wonderlanders whom the woman sitting opposite claimed herself guardian off. {Ha, the White Bitch barely knew the half of it. If only she knew what you did to them, if only she could see what you did in one day. Then she’d see her cause was truly helpless.}

So, yes, they’d both been preoccupied. They had both spent their preoccupation working to destroy all which the other had built.

He shook his head immediately at her next words, looking away from her again. Down at his box, his hair falling to hide his face again. “I didn’t forget.” {You haven’t forgotten any of it, Bandersnatch. Not a word. Such kindness you’ve not experienced in a very, very long time. Such kindness you’d never again forget.} “I came.” He added, still not looking back. {You should be ashamed.}

“I remembered what you said.” Finally, Einarr turned back to look at her. Head bowed no longer. {Stop this. This isn’t you.} “Do you remember? At the campfire, when you asked me about the gardens at the palace?” He remembered perfectly, his memory had always been a good one. Especially when it mattered. {And she matters, does she? The White Bitch? You greatest enemy, Bandersnatch?}

“You asked me about the roses. And whether the lilies were still there...and I couldn’t give you a proper answer because I never cared enough to notice that garden much before.” One arm still laid protectively over the box lid, his fingers drumming softly, rhythmically, against the grain. “Well, I remembered what you said, and I was at court the other day so I went to look.” He speaks quietly, for the Bandersnatch. {But not for Einarr.} Matter of factly. His face kept from any particular expression. {If you did, you’d never manage this.}

“They’re still there.” He paused, watching for her reaction for the briefest moment before turning back to that box of his.

“Well, not all of them. Only a few.” He took away his arm and lifted the lid up finally. Staring in at the contents. “Hiding just under a hedge, just out the way. I think that’s why no one else had got to the little buggers yet.” If anyone else had seen them, they’d have been yanked from the soil and killed. Weeded out like everything else the Red Queen didn’t approve of. {Just like she did with your whole race.} “I didn’t think they’d be safe there so-”

He pulled his hands from inside the box, producing a pot adorned with the whitest lilies.

“I potted them for you.” Einarr turned to present them properly, along with an explanation that certainly wasn’t needed.

It was a contrast of almost comical proportion. The Bandersnatch, that fearsome creature with its bloody reputation, holding that pot so protectively. The Bandersnatch and those delicate white flowers which had thrived under his own diligent care and attention.

+Notes: The ultimate box unveiling <333
PM
^
White Queen Mirella
 Posted: Dec 13 2017, 05:09 PM
  • Wonderlander (351)
  • Alice in Wonderland
  • Wonderland
Kenna

His rough reply only added to the small smile on Mirella’s lips. ”My people are still trying to grasp some of the ideals I have set before them in this camp.” She said no more of it.

After straightening her skirts the queen folded her hands delicately on her lap. For a moment she took the man before her in. The way he clung to the box in his hands. The way his eyes would follow her, and then dart away. So many characteristics that he held were animalistic, but at the same time, so very human.

She tread carefully with the Bandersnatch, though not carefully enough according to those in her command who were close to her. ”You have a gentle heart, My Queen.” Bryson had said to her. ”And I will protect it with every force I have, but I am afraid your actions and recent decision may get us all killed.” Mirella had not responded to him after that. She simply gave him a smile before dismissing her guards for the evening. Bryson had left her then, though not willingly. But he would never disobey her, she knew that. He had been her most adamant protector since she had become queen, assigned to her by her father.

Bryson was also the only guard who would dare speak his opinions to the White Queen. And she gladly accepted them.

His words had made her mind start a bit. The dangers of having the Bandersnatch alive, well, and knowledgable about their camp were evident to her from the very beginning. Any fact or rational thought could point you into the direction of the disaster that could come for it.

But in the topsy, turvy head of the Queen of a topsy, turvy land, rational thoughts and facts were not always leading factors. Intuition, instinct, feelings, these are what led Mirella, and her ancestors before her. The magic in their souls and the voices in their heads passed from generation to generation of monarch, and Mirella was no different.

And she had a feeling in her gut about Einarr, about their first meeting, and about their parts in they war. The Queen herself could not find the words to describe it, but it was there, ever present since that first day. Something was changing around them, but which direction she did not know.

He looked away from her again as she spoke. Dark hair fell like a small curtain before his face, as if the man was trying to hide from the woman before him. Mirella’s eyes took in his appearance with a soft glance. ”I’m glad.” Two simple words, but there was something that felt far more powerful in their sound.

Then Einarr’s gaze was back on hers. Mirella nodded. The memories were always clear to her. The fire, the knight, her daughter, and the newly added memory of the conversation she had shared with the Bandersnatch those nights ago. ”Yes, the gardens.” Mirella replied softly, wondering where he was going with this. Has he come to mock you now, Queen Mirella? For a moment she swore she heard her sister’s voice in her head, and it caused an unsettling feeling in the pit of her stomach.

Her pale face fell from its smile and kind look and instead she held a stone like regality upon it now. But her eyes never left him as he spoke. The gardens. The roses. The lilies. Their conversation. The pit pat sound from his fingers on the box were the only sound in the tent for a moment as he took a break in his speech. Mirella did not speak, she barely breathed in this moment.

Her eyes went to the box now. What was it that was in there? Before she had been curious, but now curiosity mixed with worry. Maybe Bryson had been right.

Then his words halted her breathe all together. They are still there.

Her hand subconsciously raised to the locket around her neck, fingers touching it lightly. The motion was a reflex now for the Queen. Any thoughts of Rochmann or Lily would send her grasping for the chain.

Mirella was on her feet in an instant. Without thinking she made her way over to the table.

Her hands reached out and caressed the petals. They were soft beneath her fingers. For a moment, Mirella was torn back through time. Her eyes closed and she could see the smiling face of her daughter, her fingers caressing her cheeks. Cheeks as soft as lily petals.

The queen leaned towards the flowers, inhaling deeply as her nose grew close to them. A tear fell from her cheek onto one of the petals, sliding from it slowly. Mirella’s lips found one of the petals, allowing the softness to set against her, like a small kiss.

With a small twist of her head she leaned her ear to the flowers, eyes still closed, as she could hear the soft whispers stuck in the petals. Songs that the flowers used to sing through the gardens of the palace, now but a hum these small, fearful flowers produced. Her eyes opened then, the feeling, the smell, the tune, all of it igniting something inside of her.

Then she pulled herself back up and wiped away the evidence of her tears. ”Thank you.” The White Queen stood tall, yet humbled before the Bandersnatch. ”Words cannot describe what this means to me.” Mirella’s hands went out to the pot, her palms and fingers cradling it softly, moving to lift it from the Bandersnatch’s own grasp.

©

PM
^
Einarr the Bandersnatch
 Posted: Jan 30 2018, 07:13 PM
  • Wonderlander (123)
  • Alice In Wonderland
  • Wonderland
Skylark

He stands and waits and watches. Holding the lilies, his gift to her, like his actions here made any sense at all. They didn’t. But Einarr somehow stayed, just as he had somehow come here in the first place. {You’re lonely.} He still can’t lay to rest the memory of their first meeting, nor their second. Nor what she’d done for him when he should have killed her. {She showed you kindness. Violence, anger, fear, you know how to handle, but kindness, Bandersnatch, has derailed you completely.}

His gaze follows her hand as it grasps for her locket. Something special to her. {They took everything.}

He’s perfectly still as she stood, as she approached them; the terror and his flowers. He’s silent as he just watches the Queen. This enemy who touched the lily petals with such a loving gentleness. This woman who was on every black list in the Red court, and yet hardly seemed able to even utter a bad word about another.

The Queen comes closer, to smell the flowers. A tear released. To press her ear up towards them and listen to their frightened murmurings. {Does she know you hear them too?} Her eyes open once more and Einarr is still silent, still watching. This moment that suddenly felt like he was encroaching on.

{Why have you done this.} She was kind. She helped an enemy without asking for anything in return. {Why did you bring them here?} A repayment. A small one, but one nonetheless. {She saved your life, and you bring flowers?} He doesn’t know how to handle these kind of things anymore. It had been all too long.

{And still a part of your mind knows so clearly how wrong this is. Some part of your heart knew you were putting the both of you at risk by taking up her invitation. What is it, Bandersnatch? Why have you come? You could kill her here. Do it quietly. No one would notice, not until it was too late. There’s still time to fix this. Why do you still hold hope, Einarr?}

“Thank you.”

Her words snap his mind from the chaos of his own conflicted thoughts. Einarr’s gaze lifts from the lilies to Mirella’s face, as she continues to thank him. He shook his head dismissively at the sentiment. {She shouldn’t be thanking you for anything.} Her hands come to take the flowers from him, fingers slipping around the pot. Einarr felt the shift in weight as the Queen began to lift it from his grasp-

And his own grip doubled, holding it to him.

{A reflex of your own, Bandersnatch. You won’t be taken from, they won’t take anything else from you. You’d give but they wouldn’t take. These were your flowers; you’d found them, you’d taken them in, you’d looked after them. They are yours.}

“I shouldn’t be doing this.” Despite his searching eyes, his tone is matter of fact. As he speaks that warning which he isn’t even sure whether was for her or himself. Or perhaps for them both.

There was taking them back, there was running away, there was turning the tables on this entire camp...and all the fearsome Bandersnatch can do is stand there, clinging to the gift he was suddenly so reluctant to give.

What was all this for then? Some more feral part of him began to seethe at the hushed flowers cradled between both of them. Their delicate innocence seemed to taunt him. It would take so little to crush their petals; snapping their stems nothing compared to bone.

Einarr relinquishes the pot to the Queen’s care.

{She might be heralding a war, but at least she wasn’t you.}

“They like it when you talk to them.” He says, turning back to his box without another word, without another look. All at once again embarrassed by his diligence to their care. Focusing on the box instead, he reached inside a second time, revealing its second resident. He places a pot bright with violets down on the table. Fingers carefully brushing stray dirt from around the pot’s brim.

His second gift came without explanation. Some company, perhaps? For the frightened lilies plucked from where they withered beneath the hedges. Violets from his own home. The cottage that never truly matched his blood-stained hands and terrifying reputation. Violets, which sprung from the window boxes, nurtured by the hands of a monster.

{They’d been Birna’s favourite flower once upon a time. They’d been your daughter’s namesake too...what you wouldn’t give for that to not be past tense.}

The pause was painful, and for a creature who never usually felt such things, it made it far worse a feeling to Einarr that he’d noticed it at all. He kept his hands busy, packing the box back up again. Not daring even a glance across. His mind already playing over how quickly he could make his exit.

“Do you spend much time with them?” {BANDERSNATCH!} “Plants.” He added further explanation, still not looking up. {You foolish beast...}

+Notes: Bless Einarr's attempt at making conversation <3
PM
^
White Queen Mirella
 Posted: Feb 24 2018, 11:49 PM
  • Wonderlander (351)
  • Alice in Wonderland
  • Wonderland
Kenna

When Einarr relinquishes his grasp on the pot after a moment, Mirella pulls it close, holding it near her chest, filling her senses with their feel, their scent, their little voices. Her delicate little lilies. ”I’ve missed them.” She whispers, the honest meaning behind her words hanging evidently in the tent.

Mirella couldn’t help but laugh at herself a little as her reply came. ”Oh yes.” She said in response to the inquiry of her time spent with plants. ”Sometimes more often than people. As a child I would often find myself alone amongst them, and for awhile considered them my only friends.” The mind of a child. The memory could be seen as sweet or sad, Mirella held it as a tragic beauty. ”And then, after everything happened,” she did not need to speak it again, not to Einarr. ”I would often spend my time with them. The wild plants of the forest and those at the far ends of the kingdom seemed surprised and slightly silent at first, but they are a great source of comfort and conversation to me now.” Mirella glanced at the Bandersnatch before setting the lilies down next to the violets, the pair looking beautiful beside each other. ”You enjoy plants.” It was not a question, it was a statement. She could see from his care of these potted flowers that he had a soft spot for them.

”Einarr, you can hear them too, yes?” The Queen asks. She has to ask, because she knows not all her subjects can. Not every Wonderlander seems to be able to hear the quiet voices around them. Each soul of the land has the ability, but even those in her court have taken to tuning out the small voices. But not Mirella. Each voice was important to her. Each voice should be heard, for they all come from the same land, the same soil. ”This one here, if you can hear, listen to her.” The flower seemed to be singing a children’s tune, one that would have often been sung un the gardens when her own daughter was running around. The voice coming from the flower itself was childlike in its tone. ”This flower, it sounds so much like her.” She says, her eyes closing as a soft smile sat on her lips. ”I used to think it a gift, my darling’s voice. How similar it was to the childhood voice of my sister.” Mirella’s smile fell slightly. ”There was so much of her in Lily, though no one would agree with me. But I knew. I knew there was. The goodness in my sister, the bits and pieces of innocence that I knew from childhood, they lived in my daughter. Even if they were few and far between in my sister, I still saw them. I still knew them. And they lived on in my Lily. And now, she lives on in these lilies…” Her voice fades off, her eyes opening, but no tears threatened to drop from her eyes.

Her gaze shifted back to Einarr now. ”Einarr, I do not know if you fully comprehend the weight of this gift you have given me, but know that my soul has been lifted more than it has since the beginning of this war.” Her hands pet the flowers once again, but then she moves away from them, leaving them next to their companions.

Mirella makes her way back over to her seat, allowing herself some time to lower herself and situate the skirt of her dress once again. ”That may not be what you desire to hear.” She finally says. ”Our situation, and the situations we are individually in are not simple, nor are they easier to understand. But I am a truthful woman, so please pardon me as my honesty is spilled upon you.” She folds her hands in her lap, back straight as her head it held delicately above it. A soft regalness taking over her being. ”May I do anything to repay your thoughtfulness?”

©

PM
^
Einarr the Bandersnatch
 Posted: Mar 28 2018, 01:56 AM
  • Wonderlander (123)
  • Alice In Wonderland
  • Wonderland
Skylark

“I’ve missed them.” He watches her reunite with theses plants. He tries to tell himself that this made it all worth it, all the danger he was putting them all in, just to see that small smile lift on her lips.

{Since when did you care about meeting like with like? Since when did you fucking care about making other people happy?} Einarr doesn’t let himself think about that too long, too focused instead on trying his best to make conversation somewhere. {Just leave. You should never have come here in the first place. Why don’t you leave?}

Plants. It was the only topic his mind went to, and rather fortunately for the Bandersnatch, the Queen seemed to have quite a bit to say on the topic. He listens patiently, letting her tell him all about that little princess who’d befriended the flowers of this odd land. The ones with minds and voices if one only bothered to listen or to care.

And again, after everything happened. Einarr didn’t need any more explanation than that, he knew all too well just the pain she was referring to.

She describes them as friends, called them a comfort, spoke of them in a way Einarr rarely heard anyone speak. He was lost a minute in her voice, in the memories Mirella too was lost in...until her words moved back towards him. {A dangerous occupation. Bothering with someone like you.}

“I used to live in the woods. The plants were our home.” Einarr spoke simply, his answer obvious. At least to him and the people whose memory he carried with him. “All this that you enjoy, the inside. Buildings and walls and beds. They had no use where I come from.”

{You lived amongst nature, you slept under the trees. You lived like the animals they all think you are nothing more than. They made you like them. Forced you underground and now still surround you with walls of a home you’d once thought superfluous. You sleep in a bed now. Like them.}

She asks then, if he can hear them, and Einarr slowly nods. Averting his eyes from the lilies she clung to, to the pot of violets he had gifted her as company for them. “They like each other’s company.” He points out, proving all the answer to her question with that statement.

Of course, he could hear them. They’d be chatting away to each other merrily inside his box the whole way here. Both of them had been incredibly excited to meet a real life Queen.

Einarr almost feels he might begin to miss them. {Don’t get sentimental now, Bandersnatch. What was it that Eris was always telling you? Monsters can’t afford to be sentimental.}

Mirella tells him to listen to the lilies now and yes, Einarr could already hear them. Singing softly, but loudly enough for a Bandersnatch’s hearing. The Queen was right, they did sound childlike. They were young lilies. Rising out of the soil where their ancestors had been cruelly felled. He knows they would have been killed eventually if left there, Einarr reasoned their small size and their position under the hedgerow were the only things that had kept them alive this far. {They are survivors of the Red Queen’s regime. Just like the two of you.}

“This flower, it sounds so much like her.” And the White Queen was gone again. Lost in the bittersweet memories of a past life, of a daughter once alive and a sister who once loved her. {A past you have but cannot afford to look back to. Not truly. It would upset this entire fragile existence you’d built yourself. It would show you who the real monsters are.}

The Bandersnatch, this real life monster, pays Mirella the respect of listening without interrupting. He pays her the kindness of not asking more, of not upturning memories that would only upset the fragile balance of this meeting that was wrong in every way possible already. Lord help them if he was needed to provide any comfort again...it had contradicted his sorry existence enough the last time.

But when she finally stops, the Queen is looking at him. And Einarr cannot pull his own eyes away, as she expresses her gratitude in her own way. “It’s nothing.” He muttered, all at once uncomfortable by her words of thanks. {You’re only trying to convince yourself that this is nothing. But this is monumental, Bandersnatch. You came back, you took this White Bitch’s invitation and came back. And with a present of all things.} “Really.”

The Queen places the lilies back down alongside his violets, and moves to sit down once again. Leaving Einarr to awkwardly hover between her and his gift. Standing here in her tent, feeling suddenly as out of place as he truly was in this camp.

{She talks about ‘your situation’, as if she’s scared to actually put it into words. Well, you can, Einarr. You’re both on different sides of a war. She’s the leader of one side and you the prized living weapon of another. You were never meant to meet, or at least one of you should have been dead a long time ago now. But you aren’t. You’re both still here, talking jovially. Like old friends. She should be dead by your hand by now. Imagine the glory of it, Bandersnatch. Of delivering up her head to your employers.

This is all her fault. This bitch saved your life when she shouldn’t have and now look at the both of you. She put you in her debt and now here you are, repaying that and risking both your lives and your fragile freedom in order to do it.

But she is kind. And despite everything they’ve done to you, your heart is still soft inside its armour, Einarr.}

What an odd scene. To see the Red Army’s most prized possession lifting their greatest enemy’s spirits. More than they had been this entire war. A war which seemed to have dragged on for centuries already. {A war not your own, but one you were forced to be a major player in.} What an odd pair they made.

Einarr stares straight ahead, just to the side of actually making eye contact with her, as Mirella gives them both a reminder he didn’t need about what a difficult situation this put them both in. He knew all too well what the army would do to him if they ever found out about this, he already knew all too well that it was only because he’d somehow got in Eris’ good graces that he had the freedom to be here at all.

{The closest thing you have to a friend on this earth, and yet you are still only a pet in her mind. A possession. A thing she owns. And yet for what she’s done for you, you feel you owe her your loyalty above all else. Despite your protests, you obey her every command. Despite your insistence that you are more than just a trained attack dog, you heel to her every order.}

“May I do anything to repay your thoughtfulness?” It is that last question that brings his glare right back onto her.

{Thoughtfulness. Pfft, you didn’t have it in you.}

He had to put a stop to this. He’d come here to repay her after all, and if she felt obliged then to repay him for his repayment, this would soon never end.

“There’s no need to repay me. This is already my repayment to you.” Einarr explains, taking a step closer. “My leg.” His hand reaches down, to pull his trouser leg up to his knee so she might see how well her magic had taken to his flesh. “It’s barely noticeable now. My limp’s gone too.” His eyes move slowly from his bare leg back to Mirella, trying to read her face. His own expression filled with gratitude...and what almost looked like pride.

{A limp you know your employer’s noticed, as did Eris. But one you did your best to nonchalantly explain away. You hope it was enough. You pray it was enough.}

“I shouldn’t be here.” It hits him like some great revelation. As he drops his trouser leg again, before quickly turning to pick up the box he’d left on the table. He had to be quick about this...but still, it was a good box, and Einarr didn’t want to part with it just yet.

With it cradled under one arm again, just like it had been when he arrived, Einarr looks about ready to leave. And yet, something holds him back. The Bandersnatch hovers by the table, gaze fixed on the two plants who were hurriedly whispering. They’d been so excited to meet a real life Queen...and yet what filled their little voices now was only worry for him leaving them here.

{You don’t have a heart, Bandersnatch. Isn’t that what they all say?}

But he can’t help himself. The Red Army’s fiercest weapon reaches a hand out to them, his fingers gently brushing their petals. “She’ll look after you, I promise.”

+Notes: Bless Einarr's attempt at making a quick exit <3 (also this got obscenely long)
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

SKIN MADE BY NIC EXCLUSIVELY FOR FIND THE RABBIT HOLE.