Add Reply
New Poll

Walk Through the Fire, tag: skylark | adrian
King Declan Charming
 Posted: Dec 2 2017, 08:31 PM
  • Royalty (30)
  • Cinderella
  • Faldor
  • “all this bad blood here won't you let it dry? it's been cold for years won't you let it lie?”
Nic

Did we light too many matches? Turn ourselves into these ashes Did we throw it all away? —
“Are you sure you want to do this?” Declan held on to the reins of Adrian’s horse. He looked at his younger brother — all ready to take on the world by storm, just like how he always wanted when he was little. He couldn’t help but worry. Not just because Adrian was his little brother but because of everything Adrian had gone through in the last year as well. He’d been told many a time that Adrian’s disposition had improved vastly in the last few months but he couldn’t… he couldn’t get the image out of his head. Adrian screaming and on the verge of the transformation. His voice filled with a soul-wrenching pain Declan couldn’t even begin to imagine. He turns to look at their whole party. They were to be accompanied by a handful of Valthan’s guards. And then there was her — Lady Odile. Admittedly, Declan hadn’t spent much time with the woman that Adrian seemed to so adore. The woman that he said saved his life and has never quite stopped. She looked much too young to be taking the lead on this. She and Adrian — they were much too young to be taking on a sinister witch. But Declan had to have faith. Faith in his brother. And faith in his brother’s (and, it seemed, most of Valthan’s official’s) trust in the flame-kissed magic user King Philip would have never approved of. The times they truly were changing. And Declan had been adamant that he would not commit the same mistakes his father did. His lack of faith was what almost tore their family apart. It wasn’t just the kingdom Declan had to mend, it was his family too. “And Odile is sure she can get you to Veroma through a… what is it? A portal of some sort?” They’ve poured over the plan a thousand and one times but Declan couldn’t help but bring it up once more, even if it was just moments before they had to go. “From there, you’ll meet our people in Veroma and they’ll take you to where she’s being kept.” A beat. Adrian always was terribly foolish and terribly brave. “Don’t be a martyr, Adrian, alright? You’ve got people with you, and people waiting for you at home. Just promise you’ll be careful and won’t do anything stupid.” He shook his head, thinking that this must exactly be how their father always felt like. He tries to smile, tries to inject some sort of humor despite the worry creeping in his voice, but fails miserably. “At least try.”
tag: @Skylark notes: titles and lyrics, man. idek anymore
PM
^
Prince Adrian Charming
 Posted: Dec 4 2017, 05:40 PM
  • Royalty (19)
  • The Frog Prince/Swan Lake
  • Valthan
  • “Oh please, don't ask me how I've been, don't make me play pretend”
Skylark

but my journey ends when my heart stops beating

It had been a quick turn around in Valthan. It had had to be, they didn’t really have any time to waste. God, they didn’t even know if they had any time at all.

Adrian, as was probably already expected, was running latest. Having had to organise the allocated guard they were bringing with them, the prince rushed to settle the details of how the duchy would be run in the hopefully short absence of its two rulers with what members of his council were on hand. The entire plan hashed out to them as quickly as Adrian could manage as to not hinder the preparation for the mission. Then all that was left was to hand everything over into Lord Arden’s very capable hands and run to get himself ready too before nightfall was upon them.

He’d barely had the time to stop and breathe, let alone mentally prepare himself for the upcoming danger. Not since he’d made the instant vow to bring Poppy home safely back at Faldor. Though, perhaps that was all for the best. Overthinking Adrian knew from experience to be a terrible liability.

Half walking, half running, the Duke of Valthan made his way along the corridors of his home out into the front courtyard where he knew everyone was waiting. Their small band of rescuers and his eldest brother. He walked through the great doors which stood as entrance to the palace, his sheathed sword in hand as he quickened his pace, running a free hand through his hair.

The younger prince walked over to where the elder stood, holding the reins of his horse for him. Adrian raised a hand in greeting to the Valthan party gathered about him before he was greeted by the worried tones of “Are you sure you want to do this?”

“It’s a little too late to be asking that question of me now, Declan.” Adrian rebuked, not entirely seriously. Like most of what he said once upon a time. The younger brother flashed a bright smile just to prove so.

He was getting good at faking smiles. A facade that was a lot better than the alternative, a lot healthier too. And maybe, if he pretended long enough, he’d even convince himself that it was true. That everything could be right with the world, that everything could be with his life. That he could finally forgive himself. Finally be comfortable with himself.

And it was working-

Until that inevitable moment. The one where the prince overheard some snide remark made of Far, Far Away’s Frog Prince, or the one where he felt sick to the stomach walking past Valthan’s old throne room, or the one where he let his anger loose from his control for one moment...and he was trapped once more. The pretense that he had ever been free dissipating instantly. The very idea that he could ever be happy shattering about him.

And he’s there again; trapped in this mind which he wrestled with, trapped in this body which he couldn’t control. Where it all felt unconquerable once more.

Adrian’s eyes follow as Declan looked behind him at the motley band of rescuers they’d gathered together. Made up of a small handful of Valthan’s guard with their Duke and Lady to guide them. Adrian would personally vouch for every single soul here, he’d trust each one with his life. He did, in fact, every day. But he understood Declan worrying regardless. Despite the innumerous times they’d gone over the plan back in Faldor along with Rose, it was impossible for any of them to quite shake the sense of imminent danger which was building with each passing second.

That worry Adrian was adamantly battling not to show. A worry which Declan began voicing with his next words. “Yes, a portal. A faery portal. She knows one which can take us quickly from Valthan to Veroma.” Adrian repeated the first step of the plan he knew Declan also knew off by heart, practically rolling his eyes at having to go over it again for the umpteenth time that day.

Declan then kept going, repeating words both brothers knew already. Adrian this time couldn’t resist making an exaggerated show of rolling his eyes. He began to echo Declan’s words as he spoke them, just to prove how unnecessary this all was.

They had this. Well, as much of this as it was possible to have when piling headfirst and blind into a land on the brink of war ruled by a tyrant who now had a history of not taking kindly to foreign royal ‘visitors’.

“We must’ve been over this a million times by now, Declan. Trust us, we know the plan.” There was that bright smile again, the younger prince reaching a hand to his brother’s arm. Nodding then over behind Declan to where his party stood. “Alfred’s even got it down in writing if it makes you feel any better.” Adrian’s gaze lands on his guard and friend, a young man only a few months older than himself. Who was hurriedly reading over a scrap of parchment.

One he quickly shoved into a saddlebag with a blush when he caught the gazes of the two Charmings on him.

Adrian still couldn’t escape the need for humour, even in this situation. It might be more a defence these days, but it was a whole world better than only a few months ago. Something he had both his family and friends like Alfred to thank.

“Oh Declan, have you not realised by now that doing stupid things really well is my speciality?” He shook his head, unintentionally mimicking his brother. His hands reached down now, gloved fingers fumbling to strap his sword properly to his belt. Declan asked him not to be a martyr, to come home safe above all else, and Adrian, in the way he was always so good at, dodged the sentiment altogether with a joke. A sentiment which had veered all too close to the thrumming fear in his heart he was trying to ignore for the sake of blind courage.

“At least try.”

“I’ll do whatever it takes to bring Poppy home safely.” Which was an answer, but not exactly the answer his older brother had been looking for.

Adrian looked up from tying his sword just long enough to throw Declan a smile. One which slowly tugged one corner of his mouth into a familiar smirk. A gesture which was so sure of itself; which spoke of endless confidence he’d once possessed-

Perhaps he hadn’t been concentrating enough at the task at hand, too absorbed in speaking with his brother. Perhaps his fingers had just slipped. (Or are your hands really shaking that much, Frog Prince?)

The sword clattered to the stone.

Christ.

@Nic // Charming bros <33
PM
^
King Declan Charming
 Posted: Jan 14 2018, 11:14 PM
  • Royalty (30)
  • Cinderella
  • Faldor
  • “all this bad blood here won't you let it dry? it's been cold for years won't you let it lie?”
Nic

Did we light too many matches? Turn ourselves into these ashes Did we throw it all away? —
“A man can try,” Declan shrugged, a smile playing on his lips, one that was just as fake as his brother’s. Here they were again, lying to each other. In truth, Declan wasn’t keen on sending his younger brother to war torn Veroma. There were plenty of other more qualified people who could do it. The mission didn’t need the authority of a duke — a prince. With the combined resources of Far, Far Away and Soest, they would’ve been more than able to find people trained for this sort of thing. Knights, covert spies, and the whole lot. But Adrian had made a vow. If there was one thing a Charming could be depended upon, it was his ability to stand his ground in the face of danger. Declan knew that all too well. So he did what he could. Prepared his brother as best as he could. Gave him as much resources as he could. But in the end, Adrian would still have to ride away to a war zone. Declan had failed to prepare himself for that. He took a deep breath, turning his attention to the steed before whipping his attention back to his brother. “No, actually, it does not. That is the most irresponsible thing I’ve ever heard. Where is Alfred?” He craned his look to look for ‘Alfred’ whoever that man might be. Who in their right mind would write down something so sensitive?! “YOU!” Declan shouted over the crowd. The young guard looked up guiltily, his scrap of parchment suddenly crushed in his hands and crammed into his saddle bag. But before Declan could storm over and give him a mouthful, someone had already approached Alfred. The young woman shot a reassuring smile Declan’s way before gently taking the parchment from the young man’s hand. She was talking to him. The guard scratched his neck guiltily. The young woman tapped his temple and the guard smiled, a small laugh on his lips. The young woman turned to Declan again and gave him another reassuring smile before the guard bowed his head apologetically his way. All this Declan watched unfold. That was certainly handled well. He turned back to his brother, his cheeks only a little flushed in embarrassment. “Yes, well, Lady Odile seems to have that sorted. You should watch your men more carefully, Adrian. This is not some game where you can keep copies of the rulebook in your pocket.” Declan sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. He wasn’t doing a very good job of being encouraging. Their father was just like this. Declan always hated that about him. The clatter of steel and stone brought him out just in time. If he’d stayed in that headspace any longer he would’ve begun to despise his father, or worse, himself. “I’ve got it.” He doesn’t miss a beat. He picks up the sword and hands it to his brother. (He’s nineteen. A man grown. He’s off to get his friend back, your sister-in-law, from the clutches of an evil witch. You have to let go and let him be his own man.) “I shouldn’t have snapped like that. I know you know this. I’m just worried; you can't blame me for being worried. But if you trust these people to bring you and Poppy home safely, then they have my trust as well.”
tag: @Skylark notes: charming bros <3

PM
^
Prince Adrian Charming
 Posted: Jan 30 2018, 07:34 PM
  • Royalty (19)
  • The Frog Prince/Swan Lake
  • Valthan
  • “Oh please, don't ask me how I've been, don't make me play pretend”
Skylark

but my journey ends when my heart stops beating

“A man can try.” Declan is smiling, which was something, false or not. And Adrian wears one to match, one that was now almost sympathetic as he ran a nervous hand through his hair.

The Charmings came from stubborn stock, but even then Adrian knew he often went above and beyond that family tradition. He knew it made him difficult to deal with sometimes but still stood by this bullheadedness; it was one thing he had, one thing that had survived, seemingly unwarped throughout the events of the last year or so. It was him, and call it integrity or just being obstinate, when Adrian made a vow, he did his utmost to stick by it.

But it wasn’t his parents who could chase him around and argue him down anymore, he’d long outgrown flustered nursemaids and tutors at their wit’s end. He was an adult now, and despite the valiant input of his advisors, he made his own decisions. And the responsibility for stepping in when he needed it? For better or worse, Declan had drawn the straw on that one. As the eldest of them, as their King, the Charmings could only look to him now.

And now, as he headed headfirst into a warzone with no true knowledge of the outcome? He didn’t have the words for how much he appreciated his eldest brother not trying to stop him...well, at the very least for accepting the inevitability of this being something Adrian was and is doing. His brother had done all he could; preparing him, getting him the resources they would need, forcing him to sit down and think through a plan properly before heading off.

Declan had tried. He’d been here, and that meant the world.

(Adrian had laid that war to rest, rebuilt those bridges. He’d come to his senses, shaken the fog of his curse, and he wasn’t so alone in this anymore. It finally felt, for now, like he might be winning.)

His brother’s attention snaps quickly from his horse, to him, to the gathered party in the courtyard. Adrian realises just who he was searching for and stomach drops. This is what you get for that terrible humour of yours.

“Declan, wait!” The younger brother moved quickly, stepping forwards to grab Declan’s arm and defend his friend. To try to turn his attention back to him. “It was a joke, Declan, a joke. I have no idea what he’s writing on that thing! Calm down.” The prince spoke hurriedly, his words falling like pleas. His gaze shifting between his suddenly indignant brother and the dear friend who looked like a rabbit caught in the carriage lights.

Adrian felt the breath caught in his throat release the moment he spotted Odile heading in to intervene instead. He caught the reassuring smile sent their way before she began to speak to Alfred and Adrian let his grip on his brother go. His hands soon find his hair, combing it back and holding his head a moment. “He’s a close friend. A true one, to Odile and I both. Alfred’s support and service have been invaluable over the past months. He’s done a lot for us, alright?” Adrian stared across at the guard as he spoke words of defence. Sighing then as he quietly muttered under his breath a reminder to watch himself. He always had to watch himself.

His hands fell back to his sides. “So don’t freak out over a bit of parchment. He deserves more.”

He looks over now, to where Alfred was bowing in apology to his King. Their eyes met across the gap between them and Adrian’s smile, however fake it had been, would still not return. His gaze shifted, to where Declan stood pinching his nose and heaving a sigh, like the almost altercation that just passed them by had been trying.

Right on cue, his little brother’s hands slip at just the wrong moment and send his weapon, this luxury in Adrian’s eyes, clattering to the stone. Declan swoops in to come to his rescue without even a pause. As he held the sword out to him, Adrian lets a small smile return to his lips, gladly taking it back. Fingers immediately returned to the task of tying it to his belt and thankfully, succeeding in the endeavour this time.

(You’re fine. You’re fine.)

Declan continued, with what was almost but not quite an apology for snapping. Adrian tested the strength of his ties one last time before glancing back up, nodding a little at his brother’s words. “I know, I know, you have every right to be worried.” Adrian looked away, finding some spot on the horizon and then the ground. “I trust them with my life and more. They stuck by me when I was going through hell, when I gave them hell...and I’d want no one else beside me.”

His eyes lift again, finding his brother’s face as he stood straighter. One hand finding the sword hilt which felt so familiar at his side again. “So you can trust them to have me back safely. And you can trust me to look after myself, okay, Declan?”

@Nic // (Adrian went a bit wobbly there, whoops) <33
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

SKIN MADE BY NIC EXCLUSIVELY FOR FIND THE RABBIT HOLE.